All dental care professionals, including dental nurses, require indemnity insurance as part of their General Dental Council registration. Here we give an overview of choosing the right policy, and what is included.
Choosing the right indemnity cover
As part of your yearly registration with the General Dental Council, you need to be able to prove you have sufficient indemnity cover. This insurance gives you a level of protection in the event that a patient claims for an illness or injury that they believe is a result of your care.
In some cases you can use your employer’s indemnity insurance. However, make sure you check the policy conditions to see what is included. You may decide that you would prefer your own insurance, which you have more control over, or just seek additional cover for things that might not be included, such as Good Samaritan Acts.
Having your own indemnity policy has a few benefits. One being that you can work in more than one practice or carry out duties as a locum, for example. This opens up more career and revenue opportunities. It also means that you do not need to wait for your employer to provide proof of cover so you can apply for or renew your registration.
What is included in indemnity cover?
Dental nurse indemnity insurance provides malpractice cover on a contractual, claims occurrence basis. This means that your policy is legally enforceable and not discretionary. It also means that you will continue to be covered for the insured period even if a relevant claim is made when your policy ends.
In addition to these features, some of the key benefits of the cover include:
- Indemnity cover up to a limit of £1m to £5m as standard – as per GDC requirements
- Specialist insurance – underwritten by Hiscox and winner in the 2016 Dental Industry Awards, this insurance is designed with dental professionals in mind
- Dedicated qualified dento-legal advisors who are also a practising dentist – to work with you through a claim
- Option to cover all duties as a dental nurse – including additional cover such as prescribing, and processing radiographs
- Option for free retroactive cover – to ensure you are protected for a previous timeframe
- Personal insurance certificate for proof of cover – which means you do not have to rely on your employer to produce theirs.
Plus, if a claim is made against you, our specialist team will be there to support you every step of the way and help you to ensure a similar incident does not happen again.
Find out more about our dental indemnity insurance, and the importance of contractual and claims occurrence cover.
Contact us for dental nurse indemnity insurance
If you would like to know more about indemnity insurance for dental nurses, or other dental professionals, contact the specialist brokers at All Med Pro. Our vast experience enables us to help you find the most suitable policy for you.
For peace of mind that you and your business reputation are protected, contact All Med Pro for all your insurance needs.
T: 0203 757 6950 (Medical Enquiries)
T: 01793 820 100 (Commercial Enquiries)
F: 0203 757 6951
Join our 7,000+ healthcare professional members that currently receive our free newsletters. We only send only important and topical news updates about dental, medical and healthcare insurances. Read about our Membership Benefits